Thursday, June 11, 2020

Roque's Island

I didn't even want to post about Roque's Island as it is truly a hidden gem. Captain Ralph tells me it is already in the Waterway Guide, and not to worry because cruisers don't come this far! Apparently they need shiny marinas and overpriced crappy food. This island is privately owned and boasts an incredible sandy beach.

Timewarp GoPro video on the way in from the south side. I kinda ruined the shot by simultaneously flying the drone. I also lost my Griz hat. There were 25 knot winds and the drone was nearly lost countless times.

Here I am trying to land it in huge wind gusts onto a moving boat deck. Cannot afford to miss the landing out here as these drones are beyond expensive. Luckily, we got her down.

Here is the drone's view- it isn't as entertaining unfortunately!

 Drone view of Roque's:


A panoramic taken from the bow

An island on the way out

Our rear window is covered in soot. I suppose the OOB-bypass had something to do with this! 23.8 knots is Betsy's current top speed, for those of you who have been waiting a month for me to make such a pronouncement! Remember, this is wind, tide and current -dependent. You will never see such speeds swimming upstream. There is more in those Cummins with an injector cleaning and some Stanadyne ;). 

Our sides are covered in salt

And then we headed home... Puffin Island was not in the cards for ol' Ralphie Props this time around. Captain Ralph was vigilant! It was as if he had an idea I might try to pull something at the last second. And he would have been right. I would have gone to Puffin Island and then around Head Harbor with a stop for a lobster roll lunch in Grand Manan. What's the hurry? We are supposed to be cruising.

No comments:

Post a Comment