Thursday, June 11, 2020

And the adventure continues!

Now I can't tell you how excited I was to see coastal Maine. I grew up in Calais and went to high school in Portland and yet I have only ever seen a very small portion of the coast from the sea's perspective. UNTIL NOW. And it is even better than you can imagine. Simply, glorious.

The Ralphs were not off to the best start. I had dreamt of scouring every little cove aboard Lil' Betsy and anchoring off every isolated beach as if nobody but me knew they existed. I had a list of things I had to see, some of them legendary (Roque's Island and Puffin Island to name a couple). Captain Ralph had made other plans, namely to blast directly across the ocean to Bucksport Harbor whilst seeing nothing at all. Well, it has been a long time since I "punked" someone, but this time it was absolutely necessary. He plotted his courses, and after he went to bed, I plotted mine ;). Here I am feeling sly... but will an opportunity arise, and, more importantly, will I pull it off? The SnapChatters will be delighted to know that Captain Ralph still has no clue, UNTIL HE READS THIS VERY SENTENCE AND WATCHES IT UNFOLD BELOW. I hope he appreciates the humor (especially since it is too late). Either way, y'all are going to enjoy this, I guarantee it!

The evil mastermind: Ralphie Props

Here is the plan as it unfolded. Now keep in mind these are multiple short video clips sent over SnapChat in real time as it was happening. I am now combining those clips into segments to make it easier to watch:










Captain Ralph's granddaughter chimed in to help me pull this off. Papa's least favorite rapper is:

Oh, and that map is still in his plotter. HAS HE NOTICED?





Nearly busted, but got him "hook, line and sinker."


 Well, it was a blast of a day for me. It was even funnier when we filled up in Southwest Harbor. He stared at that fuel receipt for a half hour trying to figure out how we could have burned so much diesel over such a short distance. As it turns out, the coastal route is a little longer overall! 

(*Ralphie Props takes a bow*)







No comments:

Post a Comment